St. Canice’s Cathedral
St Canice’s Cathedral was built between 1202 and 1285, and stands on an important ecclesiastical site, which has been a place of Christian prayer for over 800 years. In fact Cill Channigh is Irish for The Church of Canice, the church that originally stood on the site in the 6th century. The cathedral is Early Gothic in style and is built of limestone. The See Chair of the Bishop of Ossory dates back to 1120 and can be seen inside the Cathedral. In addition the cathedral contains some 16th-century monuments and tombstones. Notable stained glass windows, including two windows from the Harry Clarke Studio, Dublin are also a favourite with visitors to St Canice’s.
The adjoining 9th century Round Tower is the oldest standing structure in Kilkenny City and is one of only two Round Towers that can be climbed in Ireland. Tourists can enjoy climbing the Round Tower weather permitting; we can honestly say that the climb is worth the effort as it affords panoramic views over the medieval city of Kilkenny.
For more information on visiting St. Canice’s Cathedral see http://www.stcanicescathedral.ie/